Sunday, March 11, 2007

March 8, 2007 assignment

How can teachers reasonably ensure that students meet the ISTE standards?

We certainally can with the right resources! All we need is that these standards become priority and staff be provided with the time, equipment, teaming, money and training.

I thought of how often we make assumptions of students coming with certain readiness skills. What skills will we presume students have in relation to technology? And skip teaching those skills, creating gaps in some students learning.

I only looked at the K-2 standards and have the following comments: (concerns really).
  • The class rooms I have visited in Corvallis wouldn't have the materials or budget for the simple level on requirements such as interactive books, educational software, multi media encyclopideas... especially class sets
  • Wouldn't have the abilities to interact evenly among their families, i.e., one elementary has 75% on free lunches
  • What about loss and damage when using delecate equipment with very young children and students experiencing behavioral difficulties?
  • How do we achieve collaborative tasks? With no collaborative planning time.
  • What will have to go?
  • Create programs... with support of teachers, families and students when?
  • Training to ensure fidelity in programs across a district

4 comments:

Cathy Weeks said...

Hello sissywanderer,
I agree that resources and professional development are needed in order to meet ISTE standards. If we are expecting the kids to learn then it is important that the district is investing in providng time, resources and training for teachers to become digitally literate. Literate teachers teaching kids to become literate seems to make more sense than the kids teaching the teachers!
Take care, love you...cathy

PS said...

Hi SW,
I think you raise some good questions, certainly resources are always a problem. I taught at a low income school that had very good technological resources and the primary kids were able to use them and, I think, could work on most of the standards. The main problem I had was that the systems would go down and little kids don't sit and wait.

Kathryn said...

Sissywanderer,

First let me commend you on the conciseness and "attractiveness" of your response. It was very easy to read.

I agree with you that the greatest issue we have with new technologies is the time to be trained to use them. I would also like the district to put some money into having someone find good materials that have already been produced (so we are not constantly reinventing the wheel.)

Maestra Crisostomo said...

Hi Paula,
I think your response is interesting, and makes me think more deeply about the question...I guess I just haven't worried about interactive books, etc. the various software you mentioned because I have never been introduced to any of it. If Lincoln DOES have this software it most likely is not available in Spanish. ( So if I did see it, I just might ignore it :o))
I agree that it is difficult to provide equal access to all children. Most of the students in my class do not have access to a computer at home!
In two weeks Kari said she can take care of Zavi!!!! I miss him.
~Rosie