Sunday, March 11, 2007

March 1, 2007 assignment

Paula Robinson
March 2007
Prepared for Bryan Miyagishima
Response to article written by Todd Oppenheimer, Tech made easy: It’s not all about gadgets and gear
This article supports my philosophy about technology in the schools. I am not sure if I have adopted my philosophy because I am of the generation that had type writers in school (before correction tape and word processing). Making current technology something I am just beginning to grasp, as an owner of a jump drive, digital camera, cell phone, home computer and PALM Pilot. I LOVE my personal technology and can’t see ever desiring to go back. However, as my father, an old cowboy says, "It’s more horse than I can ride". This simply means that with all the devices I use, if you look closely to how I use them, it might bring on a chuckle because I have no idea of their actual capabilities. They are used at a surface level. Even at an elementary level they bring ease to my life to some degree.
That said, my philosophy is this (thus far), I see much value to technology. It frees time, it gets tasks done with ease and they appear "professional". It keeps me on time and connected (when I want to be, I do turn it off often). But I would give it all up if I had to decide between art, art appreciation, the discipline of learning a musical instrument, the wealth of benefits of physical activity, the spiritual nourishment of being on top of a mountain or in a deep bed of dew kissed moss. Even more than those things , a connection to another human being that is truly intimate. I fear the loss of those things as brain pathways change, as people become more narcissist and isolated.
The comments that resonated well with me throughout this article were:
School as a public forum
Simplicity to technology, everything in moderation
Focus on group collaboration, in my profession this is a skill one must posses
Focus on fundamentals (keyboarding, basic skills) and history
Don’t forget about tools such as: dice, base ten blocks… they’re cheap, powerful and teachers can learn to use them
Use tools, kids are fascinated by them; they offer physical experience
The more muscle the more memory, I have seen a research summarizing that engaging the muscle by chewing gum enhances performance in memory tasks - some teachers here allow chewing gum for standardized test situations
K-6 developmentally need imaginative, tactile and experiential opportunities
American educational systems move too swiftly and if slowed down would offer opportunities for students to collaborate, problem solve and dissect a topic
Students who are "machine trained" may not have the interpersonal skills to navigate the work and work community

2 comments:

JCG said...

Sissy,

We seem to be kindred spirits. I love all my tech tools but probably only use about 15% of each of the tools' potential. In our culture I use lots of technology but if I am in a different culture I don't seem to miss the technology. Technology helps us get many things done but at times I think it has helped create too fast of a pace and an expectation that we are to accomplish way too much in one day.
Judy

gail said...

In response to Judy's response... I am happy for the technology I have and would like to become more facile with it. The students are impressed that I can type as fast as I do. I agree that it is nice to go to another culture (Oaxaca) and find computer t..Brian time!