Thursday, May 3, 2007

April 26th assignment

As Jana described of me, I have been "swayed". I see much value in multi media for our students, although I see "old folks" like me as possible roadblocks.

This article was riddled with comments of interest:
  • "Intelligence is accomplished rather than possessed.
  • "Students need to know how to with and through their tools as much as they need to record information intheir heads.
  • "focus more attention on strategic decision making"
  • "also about tapping into social institutions and practices"
  • "The key is having expertise somewhere within the distributed learning environment and making sure students understand how to access and deploy it"
  • "as a vehicle for assessing the various ways ecomerce affects the environment" (I could provide a lot of discorse on this comment)
  • What can be accomplished when we pool our knowledge?
  • How about schools, should we be focusing on collective intelligence?
  • "Our schools do an excellent job, consciously or unconsciously, teaching youth how to function within bureaucracies. They do almost nothing to help youth learn how to operate within an ad-hocracy."
  • "Most education focuses on training autonomous problem solvers... whereas collective intelligence encourages ownership of work as a group, schools grade individuals."
  • "schools seek to develop generalists"
  • "sussing out" *critical thinking skills * skills in evaluating *foster a climate of healthy skepticism *skills to discriminate * analyze perspective of the producer *Judgement ... but they lack real life experiences

At this point I will say, shift happens. We are here, a new literacy age. No fighting it. How do we reel it in, use it and teach with it? This is the modern literacy. We now have new (really not-so-new) core social skills to teach and new cultural competencies to develop. And, working to make our "crowd" smart will be a task.

After reading this article my response keeps sending my mind back to a vocabulary lesson.

Renaissance: 3. A period of revived intellectual or artistic achievement or enthusiasm.

Renaissance Man: A man who has diverse interest and expertise in a number of areas.

As a closing thought, is this a renaissance creating many renaissance men? Or, quite the opposite? I can see it both ways.

3 comments:

Linn Benton Community College Library said...

I think that our job as teachers is not necessarily to master these technologies, nor to have our students master them (although, if we're going to use them, some mastery is necessary of course!), but to use them to have students somehow engage - with each other or with the technologies.

What I have enjoyed about using these blogs in class is being able to read your responses and engage with them in a more thoughtful manner - I'm not just reading what you have written, but I'm also required to react, and not only to your writing, but to your classmates' responses!

JCG said...

I thought it was interesting you brought up the idea of Renaissance. When I was reading the first half of the article I kept thinking of how skills were taught to the majority of the world in the middle ages and probably up until the industrial age and that was through apprenticeships. Where people made connections with each other and learned from a variety of people who had the skills that you wanted or needed to learn. You learned by doing and interacting, observing and questioning. I saw similarities when the report described why students found blogs,and the various virtual games so interesting.

Cathy Weeks said...

"We are here, the new literacy age." I could'nt agree more. I wish it was easier to learn and gain access to literacy education. The technology literacy movement is like a tsumomi, where I feel there is no catching up or running away.