Thursday, April 19, 2007

April 19, 2007 assignment

Confronting the Challenges of Participatory Culture: Media Education for the 21st Century

Participatory culture is a new term for me. "Teens who have created media content and have shared it" are part of the participatory cultures. I have had strong bias about media (phones, my space, gaming, xxx, instant messaging, etc...) in the past. I must confess that this digital immigrant is beginning to be swayed - rather, convinced about the positive outcome possibilities there are if good technology, good instruction, and good training and appropriate scheduling are in place. As I read about the reletively low barriers to artistic expression and civic engagement, the support youth experience when sharing their creations, the informal mentorships that evolve, the belief that their contributios matter, and the feelings of social connection I could only think "this is what I want from our students". Especially those who are isolated and experience feelings of marginalization. Or the one who lack social skills, the coolness factor or don't have the clothes mojo. I wonder that the benefits might outweigh the reasons for educators to stay with the status quo.
The article mentioned five potential benefits of implementing the four forms of participatory culture (affiliations, expressions, callaborative problem solving and circulations). The benefits are the kind of things I have, in the past when I taught students, wanted them to develop/do. Participatory culture promotes peer-to-peer learning, a changed attitude toward intellectual property, diversification of cultural expression, development of skills valued in the workplace, and, a more empowered conception of citizenship. Knowing these things will assure students succeed... or be left behind this article states.
Concerns? Unequal access, learning to "see", and the breakdown of tradition (education as we know it).
"Schools have been very slow to react to the emergence of this new participatory culture", this comment in the article reminded me of an educatonal lecture I attended by Hill Walker of University of Oregon. Professor Walker stated that educational reform (referring to any new 'cutting edge' educational change) takes, according to his research, 20 years for the paridigm to shift. Is this because the ones providing the education are left in the dust, uneducated, uninformed and unskilled?
How would one sole teacher even begin to implement instruction for the 11 skills named the "New Skills"? We do education because we want our students to become full participants to society. How will this shift happen? Who will lead us? What will leave the plate of educators if these things are found to be necessary?
It is true that many students are frustrated with school. I wouldn't have my current job if this weren't true. It has always been true that youth gain skills from their informal learning communities, butthe face of these informal learning communities has changed. It is also not new that youth respond best to project based instruction that is relevant. There is the key word. Relevant. What is relevant to our youth?
Because I support teachers in their work with youth that experience a multitude of barries to their education, page 9 resonated with me.

NOT DONE YET MORE TO COME>>>

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

Paula,

It was good to read your response, which was so much more positive than my own. I started to see things more from the point of view of the students than the teacher. We do need to educate our students for their future, not our past.

The ifs are big..."if good technology, good instruction, and good training and appropriate scheduling are in place." That is a sea change right there!

I know you work with a lot of kids who have major challenges (and so do I), and that the technology might allow them to have feelings of social connection, but I still think of one of my major tasks being to help my students understand and deal with the flesh and blood world in which they live. Hiding behind a computer won't do that, but then using a computer may be part of a plan to work through some issues and become more confident in that real world. It's a really confusing question and one I'm sure we will argue about for a long time.

I really do juggle with the relevance question. If I were to stick with what adolescents see as relevant, would I have a very narrow curriculum. Do I start with what is relevant to them and weave in other topics, hoping to pull them along with me. If I don't try to open some doors, will the doors remain closed? Also, what is relevant to one student, may be totally a yawn to another. So, are we moving, with technology to individualized curriculum where the community that students create is with other people who see the world in the same way that they do? To me, that's not a healthy community.

Thanks again for the thoughtful blog.
Kathryn

Jana said...

I am so glad to see you are "swaying" towards seeing the positive benefits of some of these technologies. I really enjoyed this article. Imagine if we could harness the educational power of these tools that students are so passionate about using!